To support my work and get access to hundreds of exclusive songs, poems, videos, podcasts, and more, join my community of patrons at www.patreon.com/adamgottliebandonelove

Thank you!! contact: adampgottlieb@gmail.com

Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Dred Scott

Dred Scott’s buried up the road from Ferguson
Pennies on the headstone / roses for a murdered son
Lincoln past & present / Civil War / we just heard a gun
History repeats, but at least I hope we’re learning some

This is for the slave ships / This is for the fifty schools
This is for the bullets in the body & the blood that pools
This is for 2008 / This is for 2012
This is for 2017 / What once was is something else

I am not the only one
who thought the name “Obama”
would usher in a brand new day
& had their naiveté bombed

& I am not the only one
who sees the system’s dying.
This fascist shit is capitalism’s
last breath / what crazy timing –

to be born in 1989,  
right into revolution
children of God /  & all we got
are pens to write solutions

but what a wasted life I’d live
unless I joined the struggle
to win the world for our kids
I’ll risk getting in trouble

cuz trouble’s getting into me
a thousand Michael Browns
have fallen in this battle
in just two years in my town

& I am not the only one
who knows what is enough
are we not human, after all,
and made of the same stuff?

Cuz Dred Scott’s buried up the road from Ferguson
Pennies on his headstone like roses for a murdered son
Linkin’ past & future / this is war / we keep hearing guns

History repeats, but at least I hope we’re learning some…

No comments:

Post a Comment