To support my work and get access to hundreds of exclusive songs, poems, videos, podcasts, and more, join my community of patrons at www.patreon.com/adamgottliebandonelove

Thank you!! contact: adampgottlieb@gmail.com

Thursday, May 26, 2011

A Julia de Burgos,

After Julia de Burgos

Julia,
I'm afraid I am too different to call myself “Puerto Rican”
Too light-skinned,
too rich, too white,
too unoppressed, too privileged,
too removed, too distant
I grew up sheltered
from sights of police clubbing students
knowing nothing of grandma's island
or your strife


Puerto Rico
is like a birthmark on my back

I never saw

But like you, Julia,
my heart beats words

my true self is poetry

and she hates my pretensions,

breaks down my fences, calls out my
mierda
speaks the unspeakable while the moment lasts

challenges me forever to react and evolve

lately I have learned and loved too much about
Boricua
for my poems to stay silently separate

Breaking news:
Puerto Rico is the adopted child of an abusive parent

Who inflicts precisely the same violence he promised to reverse

But worse, colonialism infused with racial hatred

Exploitation that can only be described as national rape

They lied, Julia de Burgos, when they said they would make us a state

All they wanted was a practice place for bombs and neoliberalism

Puerto Rico has always been poorer than poor

Its struggles for justice covered-up and ignored

Right now a civil war is being waged on peaceful protesters in the streets

They don't say it on TV, so I am obliged to speak

Today my heartbeat says
My veins don't end in me

But in the unanimous blood

of those who struggle

for life, love, little things,

landscape and bread,

the poetry of everyone.

This is where my Puerto Rico lives
In my voice, my power, my light

my truth, my religion, my weapon, my life

Soy poeta,
Julia, soy poeta como
and this poem is
boriqueña, like you
I am what I am, which is everything else

What I eat, drink, read, learn, love makes my self

Your words birthed mine, Julia, this makes us kin

and means infinitely more than the shade of my skin

I am Puerto Rico for I am my poetry
My voice is my identity; you can quote me
Truth is in the naked heart
To speak it is prophetic art
So I say
hoy soy boriqueño
and that makes it true
por que
soy poeta,
Julia de Burgos,
like you


I, too, sing Puerto Rico,
I sing you, Julia,

I sing my teachers Mart
ín, Aracelis,
Willie Perdomo, Pedro Pietri, Luisa Capetillo,

Jes
ús Colón, Jack Agüeros,
Mi abuela, mis primos, mis amores, amigos,

I am you, who rise in my writing and speech

My breath is your breath

My voice your voice

My battle your battle

My victory yours

My independence is your independence

My howl for justice is your howl

My language your tongue my music your song

My story your story her story his story

The blood of my words is the blood of your words

My Spanish is made of the sounds of your seasons

My love, anger, passion are yours

When I read, you are my poetry

When I spit, you are my spit
.

Give me your torch, Julia,
I am proud to take it now
Today
Boricua fills my lungs
rises in my chest
and flies from my throat
in freedom songs

¿Qué será de Puerto Rico?
¿De mi islita que ser
á?
Hoy yo pienso en su futuro

Y no sé que va a pasar

Viva Puerto Rico libre
Adelante a luchar

¡
Hasta la victoria siempre
Y la independencia!

No comments:

Post a Comment